Maintenance of J1 Status
Exchange Visitors are admitted to the United States for a specific period of time to engage in a particular program (activity), as described on their Form DS-2019. Exchange visitors must take care during their stay to maintain lawful J1 status, as failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences. In all cases the J1 should communicate with the International Scholar Advisor while considering any changes to their J1 program. The Scholar Advisor is best capable of giving you information regarding your J1 program and the options and limitations which you need to be aware of.
Validation of SEVIS record:
- An exchange visitor's SEVIS record must be validated no later than 30 days after the program start date.
- The exchange visitor is expected to report to the ISSO within 5 days of arrival to the U.S. to complete mandated orientation, provide a local address, and make their insurance payment.
Carry health insurance as mandated by the US Department of State:
- Every exchange visitor (both J-1 and J-2) is required to obtain health insurance which meets the US Department of State minimum requirements. This insurance must be maintained throughout the entire program participation period. It is the responsibility of the J EV to make timely insurance premium payments to ensure continuous insurance coverage.
Maintain required documents: Exchange visitors are at all times expected to maintain a:
- Valid DS-2019
- Valid passport
- I-94 card marked D/S
Duration of status:
- D/S stands for "duration of status" and refers to the program period listed at item 3 on Form DS-2019. The definition of J-1 "duration of status" is the period specified on Form DS-2019 plus a period of 30 days for the purpose of travel.
Engage in appropriate activities:
- Each category has a definition and expectations for the activities of the exchange visitor, which must be complied with. For example, a Student is expected to carry a full-time course of study, a Research Scholar or Professor is expected to perform research or teach or conduct other previously approved academic activities.
Be employed only by your Program Sponsor unless otherwise given authorization to work:
- Unauthorized employment is a violation of program status. Any unauthorized employment that a J exchange visitor engages in will result in the termination of the J program.
Discuss any international travel plans with the International Scholar Advisor (RO)
- PRIOR to making any travel plans, discuss your plans with an advisor. A signature from the Responsible Officer will be required in order for you to be eligible for readmission to the US as a J1 using the same DS-2019
Report address changes:
- Report changes of address to the International Scholar Advisor within 10 days of the address change.
- Hits: 281