B1/B2 Business/Tourism

B1 Business
A person who is not coming to UAH for the purpose of working but instead will participate in a business activity such as observation of research, consulting, short term lecturing, or attend a conference is best suited to apply for a B1 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad.

To be eligible to receive a B1 visa, the individual must fulfill the following requirements:

A. Intent to enter the U.S. temporarily
B. Have permanent residence in abroad that they have no intention of abandoning
C. Document ties to the home country with evidence of property, family, permanent job, etc.
D. Must not intend to provide services or engage in business activities that are primarily for the benefit of a U.S. employer
E. Purpose of the trip must be to perform a legitimate business activity
F. May not be paid a salary or other remuneration from a U.S. source.Reimbursement for per diem and travel expenses is permitted.
G. Have sufficient financial resources to fund the trip including all travel, accommodations and living expenses during the stay in the U.S.

Receiving Payments on the B1 Visa

B1 visa holders can accept honorarium payments and associated incidental expenses for usual academic activities offered by an institution of higher education, related or affiliated non-profit entity or a non-profit research organization, or a Governmental research organization. Associated incidental expenses may include cost of travel, cost of housing, per diem and rental car.

The payment must be for services that the B1 rendered for the benefit of the institution. Services must not last longer than nine days at any single institution. Further, the individual cannot receive payments from more than five institutions in any six-month period.

Visa Waiver Program
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. VWP eligible travelers may apply for a visa, if they prefer to do so. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program. Currently, 27 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program. In addition both Canadian and Bermudan Citizens may be eligible to enter the U.S. as a B1 visitor without a visa. Please contact the ISSO for more information and refer to the U.S. Department of State website http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/temp_1305.html