America Reads and America Counts Tutors
- America Reads/Counts tutoring is only one option for Federal College Work Study with a 2.5 or higher GPA.
- You are not required to participate in this program and may choose a different assignment.
- You should be comfortable working with elementary aged children.
- You should have very good oral communication skills (good grammar and a clear voice.)
- You will need to be able to work 10 - 20 hours per week (depending on your Financial Aid Award and your class schedule) during normal elementary school hours.
- Interviews will be held in July and August
- A mandatory orientation/training meeting will be held on Monday. August 17 from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. in 232J Morton hall for those selected as tutors. Any questions regarding assignments, please contact Dr. Mary Piersma at 256-824-2325
- Reading aloud to students using materials allowed or provided by the school and/or classroom teacher.
- Listening and guiding students as they read aloud to their tutor
- Tutoring children in spelling, vocabulary, phonics, and reading comprehension.
- Working with students in writing activities
- Playing interactive educational games with children that help to improve literacy and language use.
- Assisting classroom teachers in administering reading assessments.
- Engaging in other activities that are specifically associated with helping a student improve his/her reading & writing skills
- Working through math problems with children.
- Modeling math strategies with children, like counting.
- Using interactive education games that help children improve math fluency.
- Assisting classroom teachers administer math assessments.
- Engaging in other activities that are specifically associated with helping a student improve his/her math skills.
Role of the Tutor:
- Be a positive role model for children.
- Create an environment of hope and opportunity for the children you work with.
- Build self-esteem and foster independence in children you work with.
- Listen to and read with children
- Involve children in reading, writing, word analysis, and comprehension activities during each session unless you are specifically working on math skills.
- Work 1 on 1 or with small groups on reading and/or math skills; working for at least 30 minutes with each child or group
Tutors will be expected to:
- Provide a minimum of one semester of tutoring services at your site, however two semesters are highly encouraged
- Work with Site Leader for placement and work schedule.
- Maintain a high level of integrity and commitment.
- Communicate openly and honestly with Site Leader if you have any problems or concerns.
- Be prompt and professional; dress appropriately; and make efficient use of your time with each child.
- Support the reading and instructional activities of the classroom teacher.
- Follow all school policies and guidelines.
- Notify the classroom teacher via email or phone at least 24 hours in advance if you must miss work (more that three unexcused absences at your site will result in dismissal from the program).
- Attend mandatory intensive training sessions at the beginning of each semester.
- Daily time sheet maintenance, secures supervisor's initials, and turn in by the pay period deadline.
- Meet once a semester with your team leader to discuss you experiences as a tutor