Definition of an Eligible Dependent
Your lawful spouse of the opposite sex (includes common law spouse in the State of Alabama)
SPONSORED ADULT DEPENDENT
(Please refer to the Sponsored Dependent Policy for more information)
- Shares primary residence with covered UAHuntsville employee and has lived with UAHuntsville employee at least twelve continuous months, other than as a tenant/renter, prior to the effective date of coverage.
- Is at least 19 (age of majority in Alabama)
- Is not a relative
- Is not employed by the UAHuntsville employee
- Does not already have a spouse enrolled in the benefit plan (s)
- Is not married
- Your child is up to age 26.
- An unmarried, incapacitated child who is not able to support himself and who depends on you for support if the incapacity occurred before age 26.
- The child may be the employee's natural child; stepchild; legally adopted child; child placed for adoption;or, other child for whom the employee has permanent legal custody.
- A grandchild is only eligible if he or she is under 26 years of age and is legally adopted by the employee or the employee has permanent legal custody. If the grandchild is covered under the plan, the grandchild's parent may not be covered by the employee's contract unless the grandchild has been adopted by the grandparents and the parent meets all of the other conditions to be covered as a dependent.
- The child is not eligible for coverage if he or she is eligible for any other employer-sponsored health plan coverage other than his parents' coverage.
- In all cases, the child must also qualify as your dependent for purposes of Sections 105 and 106 of the Internal Revenue Code. For more information about this, see Internal Revenue Service Publication 502, which can be obtained over the Internet at www.irs.gov/publications.
SPONSORED DEPENDENT CHILDREN
- Sponsored Dependent Child is up to age 26.
- The child may be the natural born child of a Sponsored Adult Dependent; legally adopted child of the Sponsored Dependent (includes a child placed for adoption); child in the permanent legal custody or legal guardianship of the Sponsored Adult Dependent.
The child is not eligible for other group health coverage.
The child is deemed incapacitated before age 26, and either depends on you and/or your Sponsored Adult Dependent for more than 50% of their support, or is otherwise not able to support him or herself due to physical or mental impairment.
SPOUSE: A copy of your marriage certificate or Affidavit of Common Law Marriage.
SPONSORED ADULT DEPENDENT:Documentation of twelve continuous months or more of residency of the Sponsored Dependent with the UAHuntsville employee AND signed Affidavit of Sponsored Dependent Eligibility (Please refer to the Sponsored Dependent Policy for more information).
DEPENDENT CHILDREN: A copy of the child's birth certificate or appropriate court order/adoption/divorce decree naming you or your spouse as the legal guardian.
SPONSORED DEPENDENT CHILD: A copy of the child's birth certificate or appropriate court order/adoption/divorce decree naming you or your sponsored adult dependent as the legal guardian AND signed Affidavit of Sponsored Dependent Eligibility (Please refer to the Sponsored Dependent Policy for more information).
- Hits: 1266