Q. How do I access an application for admission?

A. Visit our application website page for instructions and a link to our online application or for a link to print the downloadable version.

Q. How do I access a Graduate Catalog?

A. Go to grad.uah.edu and click on Graduate Catalog.

For archived copies of previous catalogs, go to http://catalog.uah.edu/.

Q. What is the deadline for submission of a complete application, including official transcripts, test scores, and in the case of international students, financial documents?

Priority admittance will be given to individuals who apply by the following dates. 

Sept.1 (if currently living outside the United States)
November 30 (if currently living inside the United States)

Feb.1 (if currently living outside the United States)
March 15 (if currently living inside the United States)

April 1 (if currently living outside the United States)
June 1 (if currently living inside the United States)

. How much is the application fee?

A. The current application fee for all applicants is $50. 
The graduate application fee is Non-refundable.

. If I have attended UAH in the past, do I have to pay another application fee?

A. Yes, but at a reduced cost of $25.00.

. What needs to be submitted in order for my application to be complete?

A. Either a paper or online application, official transcripts sent directly to UAH Graduate Admissions from each college or university you have attended.  Transcripts must be sent directly to UAH from the institutions(s). In the case of international students, an official transcript may be sent in a sealed school envelope along with other supporting documents. Official GRE, GMAT or MAT scores, and in the case of students whose native language is not English, official TOEFL or IELTS scores. Send all documents to:

The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Office of Graduate Admissions
301 Sparkman Drive
University Center 106
Huntsville AL 35899

. How can I find out the status of my application?

A. 1. For domestic students (U.S. citizens), you may email Kim Gray in the Office of Graduate Admissions to check your application status.

2. International students may request their status by email as well by sending a status check request to Linda Clugstone

3. International students may also go into their online accounts from where the application was completed. The online status will indicate what the Office of Graduate Admissions has received, e.g. transcripts, test scores, etc.

Q. How do I register to take the GRE?

A . Call 1-800-GRE-CALL or go to ets.org

. What is the UAH school code to have GRE and TOEFL scores reported to the Office of Graduate Admissions from Educational Testing Service (ETS)?

A. The UAH school code is 1854.

Q. What is the graduate school test score requirement for unconditional admission?

A.    GMAT: 500
        GRE:    300  -  verbal + quantitative,  3.0 on analytical writing (new GRE scoring after August 2011)
        GRE:    1000 - verbal + quantitative, 3.0 on analytical writing  (GRE scoring prior to August 2011)
        MAT:   410

Q. May the GRE or MAT be waived?

A. 1. If you graduated from an accredited college or university five or more years ago and have not been subsequently enrolled since that time, AND if you have a record of consistent professional achievement as documented on a submitted resume, the GRE/MAT requirements might be waived upon recommendation of the department or program chair. The final decision is made by the Dean of Graduate Studies. You must submit a written request for a waiver to be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

2. If you have an advanced degree from the United States, the GRE/MAT scores might be waived. You should also submit a written request for the waiver and send it to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Q. I am an international student. What other admission requirements are there for me?

A. International students must provide an original, notarized Affidavit of Financial Support Form as evidence of sufficient finances to cover fees and personal expenses while attending UAH. The completed affidavit must be submitted along with an original bank letter from your or your sponsor's bank indicating that the amount of funds in the account will cover the estimated annual cost for international graduate students. These documents are required for UAH to issue the I-20 form to International graduate students.

Graduate students applying to a the College of Business: If your bachelor's degree was earned from a foreign country, and your transcripts are not in English or are not easily evaluated for U.S. equivalency, you may be requested to provide a course-by-course evaluation on your transcripts. This is a requirement of the College of Business, and helps UAH determine your eligibility for admission to all business programs. If you are asked, the agency you choose must send the official evaluation directly to the UAH Office of Graduate Admissions before your application materials are sent to the College of Business for review for admission.

UAH only recognizes the three evaluation agencies listed below:

World Education Services (WES)

Josef Silny and Associates

Lisano International

Q. I am an international student. Do I need Health Insurance?

A. Admitted international students must purchase Health Insurance from the UAH Student Development Office for each semester enrolled. The current cost for single person coverage is approximately $524 per semester. Family coverage may be purchased at additional cost. This insurance is available but not required for students not on F-1 or J-1 visas.

Q. What are the Language Test Requirements for non-native English speaking students?

A. Students may take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The score requirements are listed below.


Paper-based 550
Computer-based 214

TOEFL Internet-based:

UAH minimum Total Score 80* out of highest score possible of 120

If your scores do not meet the minimum requirements, you may be eligible for acceptance into the UAH Intensive Language and Culture Program (ILC). Please email the ILC Director at ilc@uah.edu for information regarding the ILC.

Q. What are the IELTS requirements?

A. The IELTS is an English language test (International English Language Testing System) that may be taken in lieu of the TOEFL. The total score must be at least 6.5.

If your scores do not meet the minimum requirements, you may be eligible for acceptance into the UAH Intensive Language and Culture Program (ILC). Please email the ILC Director at ilc@uah.edu  for information regarding the ILC.

Q. I am a non-native English speaker. May the TOEFL or IELTS be waived?

A. If you have a bacehlor's or an advanced degree from the United States, the TOEFL/IELTS scores will be waived.  You do not need to submit a waiver request.

. How long does it take to process my application?

A. Your application packet will be forwarded to the department for review for admission only after all official documents have been received (excluding financial documents for international students). Departments will generally make an admission recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies within 2-3 weeks. After the recommendation is sent back to Graduate Admissions, the admission will be processed.

Q. How do I add a master's program to my Ph.D. program?

A. Complete and submit the downloadable application for the master's program in which you are interested to the Office of Graduate Admissions.


Q. How much is tuition?

A. Current graduate tuition rates and course fees can be found at bursar.uah.edu. All courses are subject to fees that vary by college. UAH reserves the right to change its fees, charges, rules and regulations at the beginning of any semester and without prior notice.

Q. How many hours do I register for?

A. Full-time registration (required for F-1 and J-1 visa holders) is 9 credit hours/semester (fall and spring). Summer full time registration is 6 hours.


Q. How do I get a Graduate Teaching or Graduate Research Assistantship?

A. Graduate Teaching and Research Assistantships are awarded by individual departments and programs. Please contact departments and/or faculty directly for availability of openings in your area. Also, complete the downloadable Application for Assistantship which can be found in the Graduate Admissions section at the Graduate Admissions page.

Q. How much do assistantships pay?

A.  A full-time GTA or GRA (20 hours/week) typically covers full tuition benefits, full (single person) insurance benefits, a stipend and the international student fee for those students on F-1 visas. Stipend rates vary from department to department. Students should check with specific departments or faculty members regarding the actual stipend amount available.