The UAH Foundation has adopted a public information policy to better serve The University of Alabama in Huntsville, current/prospective donors, the media, and the public. The philosophy behind this policy is based on our commitments:
- To be as open as possible while respecting the privacy of donors, prospective donors, and employees.
- To be as open as possible while maintaining the Foundation's ability to secure and manage funds to benefit the University.
The goals of the policy are:
- To build trust with all interested parties
- To become more accountable to all interested parties.
- To establish excellence that will lead to high success in fulfilling the mission of the Foundation and the University.
Information Legally Obligated to Disclose
This category of information includes documents created, obtained, or maintained in conjunction with the Foundation's obligatory filings with the Internal Revenue Service and other federal and state agencies. This includes, but is not limited to, the Foundation's IRS Form 990 and documents filed with the Alabama Secretary of State.
Information Voluntarily Disclosed
Most information concerning administrative, financial, fundraising & stewardship, investments, and distribution of funds by the foundation are voluntarily made public to the extent allowed by law:
All Information is Available Upon Request
Administrative Information: Most information concerning the internal structure and workings of the foundation is voluntarily made publicly available. This information includes:
- The UAH Foundation's By-laws
- IRS Forms 990 Beyond the Previous Three Years
- List of Officers and Board of Trustees
Financial Information: The following foundation financial information also is voluntarily made publicly available. This information includes:
- The UAH Foundation's Audited Financial Statements
- The UAH Foundation's Annual Reports
Fund-raising and Stewardship Information: The UAH Foundation's fund-raising related information is summarized in the Foundation's general financial information as described above. In addition to the general information contained in those materials, the foundation also voluntarily makes available for public inspection the following more specific information:
- Donor Bill of Rights
- Model Standards of Practice
- Statement of Ethics
- Gift Acceptance Policy
- Guidelines for Named Endowed Positions and Scholarships (PDF File)
- Corporate Matching Gift Policy
- Biographical Information of Donors Who Consent to Disclosure
- Agreements with The University of Alabama in Huntsville Alumni Association
Information Constrained From Disclosing
While every effort is made to keep constraints to a minimum, privacy and trade secret concerns necessarily place some limits on complete openness. In an effort to be as open as possible, the UAH Foundation's practice is to detail the central principles for non-disclosure of certain types of information in order to ensure that a specific, clear, and necessary reason is articulated when information is not disclosed.
Privacy Concerns : The UAH Foundation respects the privacy concerns of individuals. Accordingly, it has adopted a structured approach to the handling of personally sensitive information. First, the Foundation does not disclose private information entrusted to it. Examples of private information include wills, personal financial records and trust documents. Second, if donors consent to the disclosure of their biographical information, the Foundation discloses this information for non-university-related purposes if the donor provides an express waiver. Under these principles, information not disclosed by the Foundation includes:
- Private Information
- Biographical Information of Donors Who Desire Privacy
- Gift Amounts
- Personal Information Regarding Employees
Strategic and Competitive Business Information Constraints : Because fundraising is a competitive and sophisticated enterprise that requires strategic planning and the use of confidential fundraising techniques and approaches, the Foundation is unable to disclose certain information without compromising its competitive position and ability to support the University. For these reasons, the following information is not disclosed:
- Meeting Agendas, Minutes and Notes of the Board and its Committees
- Individual Expense Vouchers and Trip Reports
- Prospect Lists and Prospect Cultivation Plans
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville Institutional Advancement Database
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville Alumni Database
Request UAH Foundation Information
Shelbie King Hall, 304
Huntsville, AL 35899