Are You Ready?
The following questions will help you determine if you, your family, and your workplace are prepared to respond to and recover from a crisis or emergency:
- Do you have an emergency supply kit at home with food, water, medications, portable radio and batteries, and first aid supplys to last at least 72 hours until help arrives?
- Do you have an emergency supply kit in your car? At your workplace?
- Do you have emergency contact information for your family? Your employees? Your supervisors?
- Have your and your family developed an escape plan in case of fire at your home?
- Does your family know where to take shelter during a tornado warning?
- Do you know what kind of emergencies might affect your community? Your workplace?
- Do you know what you will do in an emergency situation?
- Do you know where and how to obtain emergency information following a wide-spread disaster in your community?
- Do you have a NOAA weather radio in your home? Your workplace?
Develop a Continuity of Operations Plan for your Workplace
- Does your workplace have continuity plans to guide you during a crisis or disaster recovery?
- Do you know which staff, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep mission critical functions operating?
- Do you have back-up plans for those operations?
- Do you know what you will do if your building or facility is not accessible?
- Do you know what you will do if your suppliers are impacted by a disaster?
- Are you ready for utility interruptions?
Prepare Your Emergency Action Plans
- Do you have evacuation, shelter-in-place, and lock-down plans at home? At work?
- Do you have a plan to communicate with family, students, and employees before, during, and after an incident?
- Do you have copies of building and site maps with emergency routes marked?
- Are your families, faculty, and staff trained for medical emergencies?
Practice the Emergency Plan
- Have you practiced your plans recently?
- Do you practice and coordinate with other departments in your workplace?
- Have you reviewed your plans in the last 12 months?
Review Insurance Coverage
- Have you reviewed your insurance coverage recently to see if you're covered in a disaster?
- Flood zone maps for our area were recently updated - Do you know if your home is in or near a flood zone?
- If so, do you have flood insurance?
Workplace - Secure Your Facility and Equipment
- Have you secured all the ways people, products, and supplies get into your building, labs, and teaching areas?
- Have you conducted a room-by-room walk through to determine what can be done to reduce risk of injury, fire, chemical spills, theft, and vandalism?
Improve Cyber Security and Data Protection
- Do you regularly install patches to your software at home and at work?
- Have you installed a firewall on your computers?
- Is your home wireless network secured?
- Do you regularly update your antivirus software at home and at work?
- Do you frequently back up your critical data at home and at work?
- Are data back-up files stored in a secure and protected location?
- Do you have redundancies and failovers built into your critical workplace data systems?
If you answered "No" to any of these questions, contact the UAH Emergency Management Coordinator and learn how you can better prepare for the next emergency.