Q. H. Ken Zuo, Ph.D.
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Technology Hall N269
Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico
Dr. Zuo received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of New Mexico in 1995 and is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. He has over 15 years of research experience in modeling the response of materials under dynamic conditions, 7 of which were spent with Los Alamos National Laboratory. In collaboration with graduate students at UAH and researchers at National Laboratories, Dr. Zuo has developed several advanced models for deformation, damage and failure of materials under high-rate applications. The models have been reported in leading research journals and have been implemented in the analysis codes. Dr. Zuo is currently a Senior Member of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), and a Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Physical Society (APS), and Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society. He has graduated 7 MS students since he joined the faculty of UAH in Fall 2006 and is currently supervising several Ph.D. and MS students. His recent major research projects include “MRI: Acquisition of a Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope with Multifluorescence Detection Capability” (National Science Foundation [L. Boyd (PI), J. Evans (Co-PI), Zuo (Co-PI)]), “A Study on Local Ice Pressure – Theoretical Investigation” (Shell Projects & Technology), “Modeling Damage in Concrete Pavements and Bridges” (The University Transportation Center for Alabama, Co-PI: Dr. H. Toutanji of CEE), “Material Instability Computer Code Capabilities Development” (U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Research Center), “Modeling and Simulation of Damage in Solid Rocket Propellants – Phases I and II” (U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command).
- Constitutive Modeling
- Damage and Failure of Brittle Materials
- Metal Plasticity
- Material Instability/Localization
- Impact and Penetration Mechanics
- Stability of Structures and Solids
- Computational Solid Mechanics
Honors & Awards
- UAH College of Engineering Outstanding Junior Faculty Member, 2011
- NASA Summer Faculty Fellow, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC), 2009, 2010
- Award of Excellence, Department of Energy (DOE) Defense Programs, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2005
- Y. C. Hsu Memorial Award from the Univ. of New Mexico for Excellence in Graduate Work in Mech. Engineering, 1995
(Papers with * in front were coauthored with UAH graduate students)
Zuo, Q.H. (2011), “On the Uniqueness of a Rate-independent Plasticity Model for Single Crystals.” International Journal of Plasticity, 27:1145-1164.
* Deganis, L.E. and Q.H. Zuo (2011), “Crack-mechanics Based Brittle Damage Model Including Nonlinear Equation of State and Porosity Growth.” AIP Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (073504):1-11.
* Zuo, Q.H., D. Disilvestro and J.D. Richter (2010), “A Crack-mechanics Based Model for Damage and Plasticity of Brittle Materials under Dynamic Loading.” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 47:2790-2798.
Zuo, Q.H. (2010), “Modified Formulation of a Rate-dependent Damage Model for Ductile Materials. ”AIP Journal of Applied Physics, 107(053513):1-5.
* Zuo, Q.H. and D.J. Alldredge (2010), “Stability and Well-posedness of a Rate-Dependent Strain-softening Plasticity Model.” International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Multiscale Mechanics, 1:195-218.
Zuo, Q.H. (2010), “On the Wave Speeds in Elastic-plastic Materials with Anisotropic Elasticity.” International Journal of Plasticity, 26:1-24.
Zuo, Q.H. and H.L. Schreyer (2010), “Effect of Deviatoric Nonassociativity on the Failure Prediction for Elastic-plastic Materials.” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 47:1563-1571.
Zuo, Q.H. and P.J. Maudlin (2009), “A Sub-grid Model for Localization in Metals under High-rate Loading: Formulations and Preliminary Results.” International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Multiscale Mechanics, 1:107-117.
Zuo, Q.H. (2009), “Upper Bound on Wave Speeds in Anisotropic Materials Based on Elastic Projection Operators.” International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Multiscale Mechanics, 1:16-29.
* Zuo, Q.H. and J.R. Rice (2008), “An Implicit Algorithm for a Rate-dependent Ductile Failure Model.” AIP Journal of Applied Physics, 104 (083526):1-9.
Zuo, Q.H., J.K. Dienes, J. Middleditch and H.W. Meyer Jr. (2008), “Modeling Anisotropic Damage in an Encapsulated Ceramic under Ballistic Impact.” AIP Journal of Applied Physics, 104(023508):1-10.
Zuo, Q.H., E.N. Harstad, F.L. Addessio and C.W. Greeff (2006), “A Model for Plastic Deformation and Phase Transformations of Zirconium under High-rate Loading.” Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 14: 1465-1484.
- Hits: 2926