Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Office: Technology Hall N258
Fax: (256) 824-6758
- 2001 Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland at College Park
- 1998 M.S. Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland at College Park
- 1996 M.E. Computational Mechanics, Dalian University of Technology, China
- 1993 B.E. Engineering Mechanics, Dalian University of Technology, China
Dr. Wang is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) at UAHuntsville. His areas of research include: Solid Mechanics; Adaptive Structures; Rotorcraft and Emerging Technologies. Before joining UAHuntsville in August 2010, Dr. Wang was employed with Techno-Sciences Inc. as a Principal Engineer. He directed and performed research development focused on rotorcraft systems technologies, smart materials, advanced actuators and controls for vehicle performance enhancement, vibration and shock control, mechanical and dynamic analysis, and test and evaluation of prototype aerospace systems.
Dr. Wang has authored and presented more than 27 technical papers in professional conferences and 20 archival journals related to smart structures and structural dynamics research. He is a co-inventor of three US Patents entitled “Adaptive Energy Absorption System For A Vehicle System.” (No. 7,822,522 and 7,921,973) and “Constant Force Control Methodology For Shock Absorption.” (No. 8,311,705).
Dr. Wang is an Associate Fellow of the AIAA and a member of the ASME. He is a Technical Committee member of the Adaptive Structures & Material Systems (ASMS) Committee under Aerospace Division of the ASME.
- Solid Mechanics
- Adaptive Structures
- Emerging Technologies
Honors & Awards
- AIAA Associate Fellow, 2013
- AIAA National Capital Section Young Researcher/Scientist Award, 2006
- University of Maryland Minta-Martin Fellowship, 2000/2001
(Papers with * in front were coauthored with UAH graduate students)
- *V. P. Venugopal and G. Wang, 2014, “Modeling and Analysis of Lamb Wave Propagation in a Beam Under PZT Actuation and Sensing,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, published online 23 May 2014, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X14536010.
- G. Wang, N.M. Wereley, and T. Pillsbury, 2014, “Nonlinear Quasi-Static Model of Pneumatic Artificial Muscle Actuators,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, published online May 12, 2014, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X14533430.
- *F. Ewere and G. Wang, 2013, “Performance of Galloping Piezoelectric Energy Harvesters,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Published online on November 19, 2013, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X13505251.
- *G. Wang and A. Unal, 2013, “Free Vibration of Stepped Thickness Rectangular Plates Using Spectral Finite Element Method,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, No. 18, September, pp. 4324-4338.
- G. Wang, 2013, “Analysis of Bimorph Piezoelectric Beam Energy Harvesters Using Timoshenko and Euler-Bernoulli Beam Theory,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 24. No. 2, 2013. pp. 226-239.
- *Q. H. Zuo, L.E. Deganis, and G. Wang, 2012, “Elastic Waves and Damage Quantification in Brittle Material with Evolving Damage,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 45, No. 14, 145302.
- G. Wang and N.M. Wereley, 2011, “Analysis of Fly Fishing Rod Casting Dynamics,” Journal of Shock and Vibration, Vol. 18, Issue 6, pp: 839-855.
- N. M. Wereley, G. Wang, and A. Chaudhuri, 2011, “Demonstration of Uniform Cantilevered Beam Bending Vibration Using a Pair of Piezoelectric Actuators,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 22, Issue 4, March, 2011, pp. 307-316.
- H.J Song, Y.T. Choi, G. Wang, and N.M. Wereley, 2009, “Energy Harvesting Utilizing Single Crystal PMN-PT Material and Application to a Self-power Accelerometer,” Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, September, Vol. 131.