Jagadeep Thota, Ph.D.
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical Engineering, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Jagadeep Thota did his doctoral studies at University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). After completing his Ph.D., he worked as a Postdoctoral Scholar at the Center for Materials & Structures in UNLV. His research interest is in the area of structural mechanics (computational and experimental), material characterization with emphasis on composite materials, finite element analysis and engineering design and optimization. Some of his past research includes, shock mitigation studies in armored vehicles; high impact analysis of armor material; design, analysis and fabrication of light weight composite blast containment vessels; and characterization of glass and carbon composites at dynamic strain rates. He has authored (or co-authored) more than 30 peer-reviewed international journal and conference technical papers. He has been a Co-PI on NASA EPSCoR grant and Hyundai Rotem research award. Over the years, he has taught many core mechanics and materials courses to both undergraduate and graduate students. He has created popular applied finite element courses at UNLV. He is a member of honor societies Tau Beta Pi and Phi Kappa Phi. Before joining UAH, he was the advisor of the UNLV chapter of Tau Beta Pi.
- Mechanical Engineering Design
- Structural Mechanics (Computational & Experimental)
- Material Characterization (emphasis on Composite Materials)
- Finite Element Analysis
- Engineering Optimization
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Who’s Who in America 2011, 65th Edition (2011).
- Best Essay Award by the ASME Nevada professional chapter (2008).
- Poster awards for the composite bridge and wing competitions held by SAMPE (2007-2010).
- Outstanding academic achievement award from Honors convocation in UNLV (2006).
- Outstanding paper award at the 51st International SAMPE Symposium & Exhibition (2006).
- Awarded third place for a paper in the 2006 AIAA student conference (2006).
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi, honor society (2006).
- Member of the UNLV ASME Human Powered Vehicle Competition (HPVC) design team that won the first place in design and race (2005).
- Awarded second place for a paper in the 2005 AIAA student conference (2005).
- Member of Tau Beta Pi, engineering honor society (2005).
Thota J, Trabia MB, O’Toole BJ, Lee CH, Park HL, Kim HB, Koo MH, Lee KH (2013) Optimization of the shock mitigation layer in the space frame joints of an armored vehicle. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference, Portland, OR.
Thota J, Saadeh M, Trabia MB, O’Toole BJ, Lee CH, Woo KJ, Park HL, Lee KW, Koo MH, Lee KH (2012) Material characterization of rubberized aramid for shock mitigation. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Houston, TX.
Thota J, Trabia MB, O’Toole BJ (2011) Simulation of shock response in a lab-scale space frame structure using finite element analysis. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 7: 725-731.
Thota J, O’Toole BJ, Trabia MB (2011) Optimization of shocks within a military vehicle space frame. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 44 (6): 847-861.
Nelson SM, Thota J, O’Toole BJ (2010) Optimization of carbon fiber/epoxy tubes loaded in bending and compression. International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition, Seattle, WA.
Thota J, Trabia MB, O’Toole BJ (2009) Optimization of a light-weight composite blast containment vessel. ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 131 (3): 0312091-0312099.
Thota J, Clark K, O’Toole BJ (2009) Quasistatic and vibration response of prototype composite ducts for aircraft components. World Journal of Engineering 6: 1025-1026.
O'Toole BJ, Rahman S, Malpica J, Thota J, Raagas S (2008) High temperature properties of a state-change material. SAMPE Journal 44 (1): 42-52.
Trabia MB, O'Toole BJ, Thota J, Matta KK (2008) Finite element modeling of a light-weight composite blast containment vessel. ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 130 (1): 0112051-0112057.
O'Toole BJ, Trabia MB, Thota J, Wilcox T, Nakelswamy KK (2006) Structural response of blast loaded composite containment vessels. SAMPE Journal 42 (4): 6-13.
- Hits: 1144