Vistasp M. Karbhari, Ph.D.
Professor, Provost and Executive VP for Academic Affairs
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Structural Engineering and Structural Mechanics
Composite Materials, University of Delaware
Dr. Vistasp Karbhari serves as the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and holds appointments as a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Prior to coming to UAHuntsville he was at the University of California San Diego and the University of Delaware.
Dr. Karbhari’s research interests include the mechanics and manufacturing science of composites, infrastructure rehabilitation, the durability of composites and polymers. He is the author/co-author of over 200 papers in refereed journal publications, over 260 papers in conference proceedings and has edited/co-edited four books. Dr. Karbhari has been the principal investigator or co-investigator on more than $38 million in externally funded research projects. He serves on the editorial board of a number of journals and has received various honors and awards including being inducted as a fellow of IIFC, and ASM International.
- Processing and mechanics of composites
- Deterioration science of polymers and composites
- Infrastructure renewal and multi-threat mitigation (including blast)
- Impact/damage mechanics and crash energy management
- Nondestructive assessment of materials and structures
- Wireless sensing
- Damage prognosis
- Structural health monitoring
Honors & Awards
- Elected Fellow, ASM International, 2011
- Elected Fellow, International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC), 2006
- 2006 IIFC President’s Award
- 2006 Best Paper Award, European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring
- 2003 ASNT Faculty Grant Award
- Best Paper Award, High Temperature and Environmental Effects Division, American Society of Composites, 2000
- Best Paper Award, Composites Institute International Composites Exposition, 1999
- Powell Faculty Fellowship, 1997 - 1999
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 1997
- Civil Engineering Research Foundation Charles Pankow Award for Innovation, Innovative Concept Category, 1996
- Best Paper Award in Materials, 1992 ASM/ESD Advanced Composites Conference
Y. Dong, F. Ansari and V.M. Karbhari, “Fatigue Performance of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Externally Bonded CFRP Reinforcement,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 2011, 7, 229-241
S. Belli, O. Eraslan, G. Eskitascioglu and V.M. Karbhari, Monoblocks in Root Canals: A Finite Elemental Stress Analysis Study, International Endodontic Journal, 2011, 44, pp. 817-826
K.K. Ghosh and V.M. Karbhari, “Use of Infrared Thermography for Quantitative Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) in FRP Strengthened Bridge Systems,” Materials and Structures 2011, 44, pp. 169-185
Z.S. Wu, D.C. Zhang and V.M. Karbhari, “Numerical Simulation of Seismic Retrofitting Performance of Reinforced Concrete Columns Strengthened With FRP Sheets,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 2010, 5, pp. 481-496
V.M. Karbhari and K. Ghosh, “Comparative Durability Evaluation of Ambient Temperature Cured Externally Bonded CFRP- and GFRP Composite Systems for Repair of Bridges,” Composites A, 2009, 40, pp. 1353-1363.
R.A. Atadero and V.M. Karbhari, “Sources of Uncertainty and Design Values for Field Manufactured FRP,” Composite Structures, 2009, 89, pp. 83-93.
V.M. Karbhari and G. Xian, “Hygrothermal Effects on High Vf Pultruded Unidirectional Carbon/Epoxy Composites: Moisture Uptake,” Composites B, 2009, 40, pp. 41-49.
C. Love and V.M. Karbhari, “Filled Reactive Ethylene Terpolymer Primers for Cathodic Disbondment Mitigation,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2008, 110, pp. 1531-1544.
V.M. Karbhari and H. Niu, “FE Investigation of material and Preload Parameters on FRP Strengthening Performance of RC Beams, II: Results,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2008, 27, pp. 1245-1267.
F. Seible, G. Hegemier, V.M. Karbhari, J. Wolfson, K. Arnett, R. Conway and J.D. Baum, “Protection of Our Bridge Infrastructure Against Man-Made and Natural Hazards,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 2008, 4, pp. 415-429.
R.A. Atadero and V.M. Karbhari, “Calibration of Resistance Factors for Reliability-Based Design of Externally-Bonded FRP” Composites B, 2008, 39, pp. 665-679.
V.M. Karbhari and R. Navada, “Investigation of Durability and Surface Preparation Associated Defect Criticality of Composites Bonded to Concrete,” Composites A, 39, 2008, pp. 997-1006.
- Hits: 2329