James T. Simpson, Ph.D.
- University of Alabama, Ph.D., 1990 - Major: Marketing, Minor: Applied Statistics
- University of Southern Mississippi, M.B.A., 1973, Marketing.
- University of Southern Mississippi, B.S.B.A., 1970, Marketing.
- Harvard University, Institute of Educational Management (IEM), 1985.
- University of Kentucky, College Business Management Institute (CBMI), 1974 to 1976.
- Distinguished Professor Emeritus and Principal Research Scientist, College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, 2011-present.
- Distinguished Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, 2007 - present.
- Dean and Distinguished Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, Jan 2008 - March 2010.
- Professor of Marketing and Chairman, Management and Marketing Department, College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, 1990 - 2007.
- Visiting Professor, Trinity College Institute for International Integration Studies (IIIS), Dublin, Ireland, Summer 2005.
- Visiting Professor of High Technology Marketing, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Summer 2003.
- Prior to joining the faculty in 1990, Dr. Simpson served in several senior administrative positions at the University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi and The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama.
- Structure, Behavior, and Management of Marketing Distribution Systems
- Marketing High-Technology products
- Advertising Strategies
- IT Risk Management
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Distribution Systems
- Marketing in a High Technological Environment
- Bao, Yeqing, Shi Zhang, and James T. Simpson (2012), "Promoting Products from Developing Country: Roles of Brand Name and Spokesperson," in Subhash C. Jain and David A. Griffith (editors), Handbook of Research in International Marketing, Northhampton: Edward Elgar Publishing, 48-67.
- Bao, Yeqing, Shi Zhang, and James T. Simpson (2012), "visual vs. Verbal Information in Print Advertisements," in Steven S. Posavac (editor), Cracking the Code: Leveraging Consumer Psychology to Drive Profitability, Aromk: M.E. Sharp, 112-131.
- Hartono, Edward, Xiaotong Li, Kwan-Sik Na and James T. Simpson “The role of the Quality of Shared Information in Interorganizational Systems Use,” International Journal of Information Management (2010), doi:10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.02.007
- Killingsworth, William R., David Berkowitz, John Burnett, and James Simpson, "The Application of Supply Network Optimization and Location Analysis to a DoD Repair Supply Chain," Defense Acquisition Review Journal, 15:3 (Dec. 2008) 277-291.
- Na, Kwan-Sik, James T. Simpson, Xiaotong Li, Tushar Singh and Ki-Yoon Kim, "Software Development Risk and Project Performance Measurement: Evidence in Korea," Journal of Systems and Software , 80:4 (April 2007) 596-605.
- Berkowitz, David, Jatinder N.D. Gupta, James Simpson and Joan B. McWilliams, "Defining and Implementing Performance-Based Logistics in Government," Defense Acquisition Review Journal , 11:3 (Dec. 2004 - Mar 2005) 254-267.
- Na, Kwan-Sik, Xiaotong Li, James T. Simpson, and Ki-Yoon Kim, "Uncertainty Profile and Software Project Performance: A Cross-National Comparison," Journal of Systems and Software , 70, (2004), 155-163.
- Simpson, James T., Christine Kollmannsberger, Helmut Schmalen, and David Berkowitz, "New Product Development in German and U.S. Technology Firms," European Journal of Innovation Management, 5:4 (2002).
- Mayo, Donna, Lynne Richardson and James T. Simpson, "The Differential Effects of the Use of Power Sources and Influence Strategies on Satisfaction" Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice 6:2 (1998).
- Simpson, James, Chris Paul and Brent Wren, "Marketing Channel Relationships Among Small Businesses", International Small Business Journal , 16:3 (1998).
- Lynn, Gary S., James T. Simpson and William E. Souder, "Effects of Organizational Learning and Information Processing Behaviors on New Product Success," Marketing Letters, 8:1, (1997), 33-39.
- Simpson, James T. and Donna Mayo, "Relationship Management: A Call for Fewer Influence Attempts?" Journal of Business Research , 39:3, (1997), 209-218.
- Simpson, James T., and Brent Wren, "Buyer-Seller Relationships in the Wood Products Industry," Journal of Business Research , 39 (1997), 45-51.
- Wren, Brent, and James T. Simpson, "A Dynamic Model of Relationships in Organizational Buying : A Synthesis of Research Results," Journal of Industrial and Business and Marketing , 11, 3/4 (1996), 63-79.
- Simpson, James T., and Chris Paul, "Toward a Dimensionalization of Governance Structure: The Positioning of Franchising," Journal of Marketing Channels, Special Issue, Franchising: Contemporary Issues and Research , 4:1/2 (1995), 125-140. Simultaneously as a book chapter in Franchising: Contemporary Issues and Research, (ed: Patrick J. Kaufmann and Rajiv P. Dant) , The Howard Press, Inc., (1995), 125-240.
- Simpson, James and Chris Paul, "The Combined Effects of Dependence and Relationalism on the Use of Influence in Marketing Distribution Systems," Marketing Letters, 5:2, (1994), 153-163.
- Boyle, Brett, F. Robert Dwyer, Robert A Robicheaux, and James T. Simpson, "Influence Strategies in Marketing Channels: Measures and Use in Different Relationship Structures," Journal of Marketing Research, 29 (November 1992), 462-73.
- Costa Rica, 2011
- Ordos, China, 2010
- Hefei, China, 2010
- Chengdu, China, 2010
- Nanjing, China, 2009, 2010
- Beijing, China, 2002, 2009, 2010
- Shanghai, China, 2002, 2009, 2010
- Wuhan, China, 2009
- Dublin, Ireland, 2005
- Taipei, Taiwan, 2004
- Paris, France, 2003
- Marshall Islands, 2002
- Guadalajara, Mexico, 1997
- Florence, Italy, 1996, 2006
- Rome, Italy, 1996, 2006
- London, England, 1995, 1996
- Glasgow , Scotland, 1996, 1995
- Edinburgh, Scotland, 1995
- Mangalia, Romania, 1994
- Bucharest, Romania, 1994
- Castantza, Romania, 1994
- St. Petersburg, Russia, 1993
- Moscow, Russia, 1993, 1992
- Minsk, Byelorussia, 1992
- SGA Distinguished Faculty Member Award, 2007-08
- UAH Foundation Research and Creative Achievement Award, 2007
- UAH Business School 25th Anniversary Alumni Award: Faculty that had the greatest impact on my life, 2005
- SGA Teaching Award, 2005
- Academy of Marketing Science Outstanding Marketing Teacher Award, 2004
- College of Business Administration Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 2000 & 2001
- College of Business Administration Outstanding Service Award, 2001
- C. David Billings Faculty Fellowship, 2000
- College of Business Administration Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, 1999
- UAH Student Government Association Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, 1999
- UAH Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching, 1997
- UAH Panhellenic Teacher of the Year, 1997
- College of Business Administration CAS Outstanding Researcher Award, 1994
- Phi Kappa Phi, President, UAH Chapter
- Beta Gamma Sigma (Business Honor Society), President, UAH Chapter
- Alpha Mu Alpha (Marketing Honor Society)
- Mu Sigma Rho (Statistics Honor Society)