Take Charge Go GREEN! Programs
Residence Hall Energy / Recycling Competition
These exciting activities will allow residence halls the opportunity to acquire additional points while learning more about conservation.
Energy Scavenger Hunt
This initiative will give residence halls the opportunity to receive 1 point per resident that attends the presentation. Bring your student ID!
A representative from TVA will present information on ways to save energy.
After the presentation participants can then use this knowledge to participate in the Energy Scavenger Hunt. Participants will submit photos and descriptions of ways to save energy to TVA. The winning entry will be the one that demonstrates the most energy savings impact for the campus. The winner will receive a $50 iTunes gift card and earn 5 points for their residence hall.
All contestants submitting an energy saving entry will be entered into a drawing for a $25 iTunes gift card. A limited number of t-shirts will be given away — first come, first served to those attending the initial presentation.
- When: Tuesday, October 19th at 1:30 p.m.
- Where: University Center Exhibit Hall
This Sodexo–sponsored event will earn residence halls 1 point per resident that pedals to Charger Village to create a tasty treat. Bring your Charger ID!
- When: Thursday, October 21 from 12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Charger Village
Have something that is useful but you don't need it? Give it to someone who does at the FreeCycle event. Got extra printer ink cartridges? An old lamp? Last season's Coach handbag? Don't send those things to the landfill — FreeCycle them! There's no contest points for this SGA–sponsored activity, but it's a great opportunity to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle . . . FreeCycle!.
- When: Monday, October 25 — all day.
- Where: Your residence hall lobby.
Label EnergySTAR Brochures
Help us put UAHuntsville info labels onto EnergySTAR brochures. Label up to 375 brochures per residence hall and earn 5 points! Contact Vanessa Ennis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Promote Energy Awareness Month
October is Energy Awareness Month — help UAHuntsville encourage our students, faculty, and staff to reduce their energy consumption.
- Create Energy Efficient signs, displays, banners, etc. around campus (get permission from the proper person at each location) and receive 5 points for each display, each week it is displayed.
- Come up with your own way to share Energy Awareness Month across campus. Submit your idea to Vanessa.Ennis@uah.edu to find out how many points will be awarded.
- Ideas available in the EnergySTAR publication A Student's Guide to Improving Energy Performance on Campus — http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=higher_ed.bus_highereducation
"Like" the Take Charge Go Green Facebook Page
Show your support for the Take Charge Go Green! Challenge by "liking" our facebook page. Receive 1 point for each verified resident. Email your RA after "liking" the page. RAs will track and verify.
Sponsor an Office for Green Office Certification
If a department/unit signs up and is granted certification, the sponsoring residence hall will receive 5 points. (Note: The applying department must indicate sponsoring student(s) name and residence hall when submitting the application.)
Other RA Floor/Hall Program Ideas
- Put energy conservation labels on manual light switches
- Put on a Recycled Fashion Show
- Litter Pickup Contest
Have a suggestion? Email Vanessa Ennis. If your idea is used we'll assign points and post online.
- Hits: 1244