Emergency Egress for Mobility Impaired
If a person with a mobility impairment is able to exit the building without use of the elevator, then evacuation should follow the appropriate route out of the building. If exit from the building is only possible by use of the elevator, follow the procedures outlined below:
- The mobility-impaired person should proceed to the nearest enclosed stairwell or "area of safe refuge" and remain there.
- In case of a fire, enclosed building stairwells are "safe refuge areas," and have a higher fire resistive rating. If possible a co-worker, supervisor, instructor, or building emergency supervisor should be notified. Make sure the door to the stairwell is closed. Open doors will violate the "safe refuge area" and will allow smoke, and possibly fire, into the stairwell.
- Once outside, the co-worker, supervisor, instructor, or building monitor should inform the Huntsville Fire Department or University Police Department that there is a mobility-impaired person in a stairwell, which floor the person is on and location of the stairwell or refuge area.
- When stairwell evacuations are necessitated, such decisions and evacuations will be made by Huntsville Fire Department. UNIVERSITY PERSONNEL SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO CARRY ANYONE DOWN THE STAIRS.
- After the "ALL CLEAR" has been given by Huntsville Fire Department or University Police, the co-worker, supervisor, instructor, or building emergency supervisor should immediately go to the stairwell or refuge area and inform the person that it is safe to re-occupy the building.