Brent M. Wren, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Associate Provost
Office: 365 SKH
- The University of Memphis, Ph.D. in Business Administration, May 1994. - Major: Marketing, Minors: Sociology and Strategic Management - Dissertation: "An Organizational Learning Perspective on the Development of Strategic Commitment in a Complex Organization"
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, M.B.A., August 1990.
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.S. in Marketing, June 1989.
- 2011 to present, Associate Provost, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama
- 2009 to 2011, Department Chair of Marketing, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama
- 2005 to 2009, Director of Graduate Programs, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama.
- 1999 to present, Associate Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration, The University of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama.
- 1994 to 1999, Assistant Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama.
- 1993 to 1994, Visiting Assistant Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, Louisiana.
- 1990 to 1993, Research Assistant, Fogelman College of Business and Economics, Memphis State University, Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1989 to 1990, Research Assistant, School of Business, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama.
Current Teaching Responsibilities
- Market Research Design (MKT 343)
- Survey of Marketing Management (MKT 600)
- Wren, Brent M. (2013), "The Use of Gestalt Approaches for Understanding Adaptive Behaviors in Channels of Distribution," International Journal of Marketing Studies, (forthcoming in Vol 5, December).
- Wren, Brent M., David Berkowitz, and E. Stephen Grant (forthcoming), "Attitudinal, Personal, and Job-Related Predictors of Salesperson Turnover," Marketing Intelligence and Planning, (forthcoming).
- Wren, Brent M. and David Berkowitz (forthcoming), "Creating Strategic Commitment in Franchise Systems: Establishing the Link between Leadership, Organizational Structure and Performance," Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (forthcoming)
- Sale Items and the Geographic Draw: An Analysis of Loyalty Card Data, David Berkowitz, Brent Wren and Timothy D. Landry, 2010 Recent Advances in Retailing and Services Science—Istanbul, Turkey.
- Bao, Yeqing, David Berkowitz, Brent Wren (2009), “Consumer Marketing of High Technology Products,” in Bidgoli, Hossein (editor), The Handbook of Technology Management, Vol 2, 290-304. (D)
- Berkowitz, David and Brent M. Wren, “Creating Strategic Commitment in Franchise Systems: Establishing the Link between Leadership, Organizational Structure and Performance,” Proceedings for the ICSB Worl
- Wren, Brent M. (2007), "Channel Structure and Strategic Choice in Distribution Channels," Journal of Manament Research, 7 (August), 78-86.
- Berkowitz, David, Brent M. Wren, and E. Stephen Grant (2007), "Predicting New Product Success or Failure: A Comparison of U.S. and U.K Practices," Journal of Comparative International Management, 10 (June), 50-65. (D)
- Wren, Brent M. (2006), "Examining Gender Differences in Performance Evaluation, Rewards, and Punishments," Journal of Management Research , 6 (December), 1-10.
- Wren, Brent M, Wm. E. Souder, and David Berkowitz, "Market Orientation and New Product Development in Global Industrial Firms," Industrial Marketing Management , 29 (November), 2000, 601-611.
- Clugston, Michael and Brent M. Wren, "Specialty Care Provider Seeks Integration Toward Primary Care: Which Customers Will Accept the Shift?" Marketing Health Services (formerly Journal of Health Care Marketing ), 98 (Winter), 1998, 18-28.
- Rapert, Molly Inhofe and Brent M. Wren, "Reconsidering Organizational Structure: A Dual Perspective of Frameworks and Processes," Journal of Managerial Issues , 10 (3), 1998, 287-302.
- Rapert, Molly Inhofe and Brent M. Wren, "Service Quality as a Competitive Opportunity," The Journal of Services Marketing , 12 (3), 1998, 223-35.
- Vlosky, Richard P., et al., (Brent M. Wren), "Partnerships Versus Typical Relationships Between Wood Products Distributors and Their Manufacturer Suppliers," Forrest Products Journal , 48 (3), 1998, 27-35.
- Wren, Brent M., James T. Simpson, and Chris Paul, "Marketing Channel Relationships Among Small Businesses," International Small Business Journal , 16 (May), 1998, 64-78.
- Simpson, James T. and Brent M. Wren, "Buyer-Seller Relationships in the Wood Products Industry," Journal of Business Research , 38 (May 1997), 45-51.
- Wren, Brent M. and James T. Simpson (1996), "A Dyadic Model of Relationships in Organizational Buying: A Synthesis of Research Results," The Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing , 11 (3/4), 63-79.
- Martin, Warren S., Robert E. Stanford, John E. Swan, Brent M. Wren, Jack Duncan, and Thomas L. Powers, "Mail Surveys: A Linear Programming Solution," Journal of Business Research, 29 (January 1994), 39-45.
- Grant, E. Stephen and Brent M. Wren, "The Relationship of Student Ethnocentrism to Interest in International Business and Business Ethics Education," Marketing Education Review , 3 (Spring 1993), 10-17.
- Schul, Patrick L. and Brent M. Wren, "The Emerging Role of Women in Industrial Selling: A Decade of Change," Journal of Marketing, 56 (July 1992), 38-54.
Consulting and Training
Dr. Wren has over 15 years of experience in business consulting, market opportunity assessment, and training experience. He has provided seminars and service quality audits for the International Paper, Intergraph, Woodland Medical Center, Memphis Gas and Light, Huntsville Hospital, and The Huntsville Times. In addition, he has conducted marketing opportunity assessments and relationship marketing research for the U.S. Army, LOGSA, Reagan Missile Defense Test Site, BAE Systems, Pearl Vision Centers, AAMCO Transmissions, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Thrifty Car Rental, Mailboxes, Etc., the Huntsville/Madison Convention and Visitor's Bureau, and the Birmingham Radio Group.