John Daniel Sherman, Ph.D.
J. Daniel Sherman received a B.S. degree from the University of Iowa, a M.A. degree from Yale University, and a Ph.D. in organizational theory/organizational behavior from the University of Alabama. He is currently Professor of Management at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. In 1989-90 he was a visiting scholar at the Stanford Center for Organization Research at Stanford University. He has been PI or co-PI on a number of contracts with the US Army. He is the author of over 70 research publications and his research has appeared in a number of leading journals including Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Psychological Bulletin, Personnel Psychology, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, and Organization Science. He was the recipient of the 2004 IEEE-Engineering Management Society Publication Award. In 2006 he received a division research award from the Academy of Management.
- Cross functional integration
- The management of research and development.
- Sherman, J.D. and Keller, R.T. Suboptimal Assessment of Inter-Unit Task Interdependence: Modes of Integration and Information Processing for Coordination Effectiveness, Organization Science, 22, (1), 2011, 245-261.
- Sherman, J.D. and Rhoades, R.G. Cycle Time Reduction in Defense Acquisition, Research-Technology Management, 53, (5), 2010, 46-54.
- Sherman, J.D., Lessons Learned from the Development of the Joint Stand-off Target Attack Radar System Common Ground Station, Defense Acquisition Review Journal, 13, (1), 2006, 80-94.
- Sherman, J.D., Berkowitz, D. and Souder, W.E., New Product Development Performance and the Interaction of Cross-Functional Integration and Knowledge Management, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 22, (5), 2005, 399-411.
- Sherman, D. Lessons Learned from the Development of the Fiber Optic Guided Missile (FOG-M), Defense Acquisition Review Journal, 12, (4), 2005, 437-451.
- Sherman, J.D. Optimal Modes and Levels of Integration, and the Identification of Cross Functional Coordination Deficiencies in Concurrent Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 51,(3), 2004, 268-278.
- Sherman, J.D., Patriot PAC-2 Development and Deployment in the Gulf War, Acquisition Review Quarterly, 10, (1), 2003, 28-45.
- Sherman, J.D., Lessons Learned from the Early Stages of Development of the Guardrail Common Sensor for the Radical Reduction of Cycle Time, Acquisition Review Quarterly, 10, (3), 2003, 300-314.
- Sherman, J.D., Souder, W.E., and Jenssen, S.A., Differential Effects of the Primary Forms of Cross Functional Integration on Product Development Cycle Time, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 17, (4), 2000, 257-267.
- Souder, W.E. and Sherman, J.D. Managing New Technology Development, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994. Chinese translation edition published by Irwin McGraw-Hill in 2000.
- Souder, W.E., Sherman, J.D., and Davies-Cooper, R. Environmental Uncertainty, Organizational Integration and New Product Development Effectiveness: A Test of Contingency Theory. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 15, 1998, 520-533.
- Souder, W.E. and Sherman, J.D. "Organizational Design and Organizational Development Solutions to the Problem of R&D/Marketing Integration" in R. Woodman & W. Pasmore (eds.) Research in Organizational Change and Development, Volume 7, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1993, 181-215.
- McCollum, J.K. and Sherman, J.D. The Effects of Matrix Organization Size and Number of Project Assignments on Performance. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. Volume 38, Number 1, 1991, 75-78.
- Sherman, J.D. The Relationship Between Factors in the Work Environment on Turnover Propensities Among Engineering and Technical Support Personnel. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Volume 33, Number 2, 1986, 72-78.
- Morris, J.H., Sherman, J.D., and Mansfield, E.R. Failures to Detect Moderating Effects with Ordinary Least Squares Regression: Some Reasons and a Remedy. Psychological Bulletin, Volume 99, Number 2, 1986, 282-288.
- Sherman, J.D. and Smith, H.L. The Influence of Organizational Structure on Intrinsic versus Extrinsic Motivation, Academy of Management Journal, Volume 27, Number 4, 1984, 877-885.
- Morris, J.H. and Sherman, J.D. Generalizability of an Organizational Commitment Model. Academy of Management Journal, Volume 24, Number 3, 1981, 512-526.
- Ezell, H.F., Odewahn, C.A., and Sherman, J.D. The Effects of Having Been Supervised by A Woman on Perceptions of Female Managerial Competence. Personnel Psychology, Volume 34, 1981, 291-299.
- Ezell, H.F., Odewahn, C.A., and Sherman, J.D. The Competence of Women Managers in Public Service Organization: A Comparative View. Journal of Management, Volume 6, Number 2, 1980, 135-144.