Cynthia L. Gramm, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, October, 1983
- A.M., Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1980
- M.A., Child Development, Michigan State University, 1974
- B.S. with honors, Home Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1972
- Department Chair, Department of Management, Marketing, and Information Systems (2011- present); Professor (1998 - present): Associate Professor (1990 - 1998); College of Business Administration, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Alabama
- Assistant Professor (1985 - 1990). Department of Collective Bargaining, Labor Law, and Labor History, New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- Assistant Professor (Aug 1983 - 1985), Instructor (Jan - Aug 1983). Department of Industrial Relations and Human Resources, College of Business Administration, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- Teaching and Research Assistant. Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1979-1983
Research in Progress
- Remedy –Seeking Responses to Mistreatment, with J. Schnell
- Cyclicality of EEOC Charges, with W. Orman and J. Schnell
- Social networks in teams, with E. Fong, J. Schnell, and A. Wilhite
- Government Regulation of Employment Relations
- Human Resource and Labor Management
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Gramm, Cynthia L., John F. Schnell, and Elizabeth W. Weatherly. 2006. Remedy-Seeking Responses to Wrongful Dismissal: Comparing the Similarity -- Attraction and Similarity- Betrayal Paradigms, International Journal of Conflict Management , Vol. 17, No. 4: 266-290.
- Gramm, Cynthia L. and John F. Schnell, 2006. "The Relationship between Competitive Strategy and a Firm's Reliance on Long-Term Employment Contracts." Korean Journal of Industrial Relations (December): 107-136.
- Gramm, Cynthia L. and John F. Schnell. 2004. "The Effects of Using Alternative Types of Staffing Arrangements," Advances in Industrial and Labor Relations , Vol 13: 27-68.
- "The Use of Flexible Staffing Arrangements in Core Production Jobs" (with John F. Schnell). Industrial and Labor Relations Review. (January 2001): 245-258.
- "Following the Leader: Race and Behavior in the 1987 NFL Strike" (with John F. Schnell). In Wallace E. Hendricks (ed.) Advances in the Economics of Sports, Vol. 2 (Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1997): 115-143.
- "Collective Bargaining and Strike Activity" (with Daniel G. Gallagher). In David Lewin, Daniel J.B. Mitchell, and Mahmood A. Zaidi (eds.) Handbook of Human Resources Management. (JAI Press, 1996).
- "Empirical Evidence on the Effects of Using Permanent Striker Replacements" (with John F. Schnell), Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. XII, No 3 (July 1994): 122-33.
- "The Empirical Relations Between Employers' Striker Replacement Strategies and Strike Duration" (with John F. Schnell), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (January, 1994): 189-206.
- "Difficult Choices: Crossing the Picket Line during the 1987 National Football League Strike" (with John F. Schnell), Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 12, No. 1 (January 1994): 41-73.
- "Centralization of Bargaining Decisions in American Unions" (with Wallace E. Hendricks and Jack Fiorito), Industrial Relations, Vol. 32, No. 3 (Fall 1993): 367-390.
- "Union Structural Choices" (with Jack Fiorito and Wallace E. Hendricks). In George Strauss, Daniel G. Gallagher, and Jack Fiorito (eds.), The State of Unions (Madison, WI: Industrial Relations Research Association, 1991).
- "Inflation Uncertainty and Strike Activity" (with Wallace E. Hendricks and Lawrence Kahn), Industrial Relations, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Winter 1988): 114-29.
- "Learning by Striking: Estimates of the Teetotaler Effect" (with John F. Schnell), Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 5, No. 2 (April 1987): 221-41.
- "New U.S. Estimates of the Propensity to Strike During Contract Negotiations, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 40, No. 3 (April 1987): 406-17.
- "The Determinants of Strike Incidence and Severity: A Micro-Level Study," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 39, No. 3 (April 1986): 361-76.
- Gramm, C. & J. Schnell, 2010. “Remedy-Seeking for Mistreatment at Work,” Presented at the 25th Cardiff Employment Research Unit Annual Conference, September 2010, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom.
- Gramm, C. & J. Schnell. 2009. “Determinants of Employee Remedy-Seeking for Discrimination.” Presented at the 61st Annual Meeting of the Labor and Employment Relations Research Association, San Francisco, CA. D
- Gramm, C. 2009. “Managers as Leaders; Leaders as Managers. Presentation at the Federal Labor and Employee Relations Forum, (June) Pittsburgh, PA. (Received $1000.00 honorarium.)
- Gramm, C. 2008. “Strategic Management of Human Resources by Managers and Supervisors.” Presentation at the Federal Labor and Employee Relations Forum, June 10, Pittsburgh, PA. (Received $1000.00 honorarium.)