Dorla A. Evans, Ph.D.
- University of Arkansas, Ph.D., 1985 Major: Finance; Minors: Statistics and Economics
- Dissertation Title: "Investment Decisions with the Social and Environmental Impacts of New Technology"
- University of Houston at Clear Lake City, M.B.A., 1978, Finance
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S., 1975, Speech, graduated with highest honors
- Univ. of Alabama in Huntsville Chair of Accounting and Finance 2006-2009
- Interim Chair of Accounting and Information Systems 2005-2006
- Professor 1996-present
- Assistant Dean 1994-1997
- Associate Professor (Tenured) 1994-1996
- Associate Professor 1991-1994
- Mississippi State Univ. Associate Professor (Tenured) 1990-1991
- Assistant Professor 1987-1990
- Univ. of Texas at El Paso Assistant Professor 1985-1987
- University of Arkansas Research Assistant 1984-1985
- Part-time Instructor 1982-1984
- Applications of the principles of behavioral finance and experimental methods to investment and corporate finance decisions
Current Teaching Interests
- Corporate finance and entrepreneurship
- Faculty adviser of the UAH Entrepreneurship Club 2009-present
- “Regulation Fair Disclosure’s Effect on the Information Content of Bond Rating Changes” with Winnie Poon, European Financial Management, forthcoming. (D)
- Published a Letter to the Editor in The Wall Street Journal, “Ratings Shopping Won’t Help Much,” June 1, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704269204575270964174151890.html?KEYWORDS=Dorla+Evans
- Published a Letter to the Editor in The Wall Street Journal, “What Globalization of Education?” May 20, 2011. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703315404575250210797557650.html?KEYWORDS=Dorla+A+Evans
- “The Change in the Informational Impact of Bond Rating Changes on Bond Yield Premia due to Regulation Fair Disclosure” with Winnie Poon, presented at the Infiniti Conference on International Finance in Dublin, Ireland, June 2009. (D)
- “Impact of Bond Rating Changes on Bond Market Yield Premia in the Post-Regulation Fair Disclosure Period,” presented at the Association for Chinese Management Education, 18th International Conference on Pacific Rim Management in Toronto, July 2008. (D)
- Dorla A. Evans, “Subjects’ Perceptions of Confidence and Predictive Validity in Financial Information Cues,” Journal of Behavioral Finance, 7(1), 2006, 12-28. (D)
- Dorla A. Evans, "Subjects' Perceptions of Confidence and Predictive Validity in Financial Information Cues," Journal of Behavioral Finance , 7(1), 2006, 12-28.
- W. David Allen and Dorla A. Evans, "Bidding and Overconfidence in Experimental Financial Markets," Journal of Behavioral Finance , 6(3) Summer 2005, 108-120.
- Kenneth E. Scislaw and Dorla A. Evans, "Structural Imperfections in the Algorithm of Certain Equity Style Indexes," The Journal of Investment Consulting, 6(2), Winter 2003/2004, 58-68
- Jayen B. Patel and Dorla A. Evans, "Seasonal Stock Return Patterns in the Seven Industrialized Nations," forthcoming Journal of Applied Business Research , Spring 2003.
- Jayen B. Patel, Dorla A. Evans, and John E. Burnett, "Junk Bond Behavior with Daily Returns and Business Cycles," Journal of Financial Research , 21(4), Winter 1998, 407-418.
- Dorla A. Evans, "The Role of Markets in Reducing Expected Utility and Violations," Journal of Political Economy , 105(3), June 1997, 622-636. Abstracted in the December 1997 issue of Journal of Economic Literature
- Farzad Moussavi, Samia Sahia, and Dorla A. Evans, "Explaining Strategic Managers' Choice of Decision Tools: Cognitive Style-Representation Method Compatibility," International Journal of Management , September 1995, 305-314.
- Dorla A. Evans and Shawn M. Forbes, "Decision Making and Display Method: The Case of Prescription and Practice in Capital Budgeting," The Engineering Economist , 39(1), Fall 1993, 87-92.
- Farzad Moussavi and Dorla A. Evans, "Emergence of Organizational Attributions: The Role of a Shared Cognitive Schema," Journal of Management , 19(1), Spring 1993, 79-95.
- Dorla A. Evans, "Risk and Information Preferences in the Screening Stage of Experimental Capital Budgeting Decisions," Financial Practice and Education , Spring/Summer 1993, 29-37.
- Dorla A. Evans, Farzad Moussavi, and Barry E. Langford, "Integrating Social and Financial Goals: Toward More Balanced New Technology Decisions," Journal of Technological Forecasting and Social Change , 41(1), February 1992, 29-40.
- Dorla A. Evans, Michael D. Phillips, and James H. Holcomb, "Tests of the Betweenness Property in Experimental Financial Choices," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization , 15, March 1991, 279-295.
- McRae C. Banks, Barbara Spencer, and Dorla A. Evans, "fisCAL Business Analysis Software," a software review, Journal of Management Education , 15(3), August 1991, 368-373.
- Dorla A. Evans and Farzad Moussavi, "Measuring Corporate Social Orientation: The Decision Process Approach," Journal of Socio-Economics, formerly Journal of Behavioral Economics , 20(1), Spring 1991, 19-36.
- Larry G. Perry, Dorla A. Evans, and Pu Liu, "Bond Rating Discrepancies and the Effect on Municipal Bond Yields," Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics , 30(1), Winter 1991, 110-127.
- Dorla A. Evans and Farzad Moussavi, "Social Responsibility in New Technology Firms: The Executive View," Journal of Applied Business Research , 5(2), Spring 1989, 42-47.
- Dorla A. Evans, James H. Holcomb, and William Chittenden, "The Relationship Between Risk Taking Preference and Knowledge in Experimental Financial Markets," Journal of Behavioral Economics , 18(1) Spring 1989, 19-40.
- Larry G. Perry, Pu Liu, and Dorla A. Evans, "Modified Bond Ratings and the Effect of Split Ratings on Corporate Bond Yields," Journal of Business Finance and Accounting , 15(2), Summer 1988, 231-241.
- James H. Holcomb and Dorla A. Evans, "The Effect of Sunk Costs On Uncertain Decisions in Experimental Markets," Journal of Behavioral Economics , 16(3), Fall/Winter 1987, 59-66.
- Dorla A. Evans, "Investment Decision Making Under Uncertainty: Potential Environmental/Social Impacts of New Products," The Engineering Economist , 32(4), Summer 1987, 263-280.
- Dorla A. Evans, "A Reply to 'A Less Taxing Way to Pay Uncle Sam,'" by Alan Kay, Harvard Business Review , July-August 1980, 188.
- 2004-2005 Student Government Association's Outstanding Faculty Award for the College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- 1999 - 2000 Outstanding Service Award, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- 1999 C. David Billings Faculty Fellowship, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- 1999 Distinguished Faculty Award from the University of Alabama in Huntsville Alumni Association
- 1998 Outstanding Research Award, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- 1998 Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Business Administration, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- 1995 Southwestern Business Deans' Association Innovation Achievement Award for Curriculum Innovation
- Integrated engineering and finance students to design a multi-purpose missile system and to develop the relevant costing and business plans. Students won a national AIAA competition for their efforts.
- 1995 Southern Business Administration Association, Teaching Innovation Award, Honorable Mention. Integrated engineering and finance student teams.
- Superior Oil Company, Houston, Texas; Controller's Department, 1981-1982
- Coastal Corporation, Houston, Texas; 1978-1981